JOANNE MEHL PAINTINGS
Joanne Mehl is an accomplished figurative artist best known for her commissioned portraiture, figure painting, and equestrian subjects. While having a vivid impressionist feel, her work is grounded in the realistic depiction of relationships and scenes. Over thirty years of disciplined oil painting skills imbue her pieces with a depth of color, and her keen eye for composition brings dynamism to even the humblest scene. Joanne’s forte is depicting the intricacies of human and animal subjects; both in terms of their anatomy, behavior, and interrelationships. Her artwork hangs in many venues, from the Kentucky’s Governor’s mansion to numerous private collections.
A bit about Joanne:
"I graduated from Pasadena's Art Center College of Design in 1983 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts, with an Honors in Illustration. I began doing commissioned portraiture because my rigorous classical training had well prepared me for it, and I loved it! As a species, we are fascinated by faces, whether they are the faces of loved ones, or the beautiful or flawed visages of strangers. With time, I have come to a point where expressing the relationships between subjects has become an even greater challenge and resultant accomplishment."
- Commissioned Portraiture
- Figure Painting
- Equine Subjects
- Plein Air
- Over 100 pieces of commissioned portraiture.
- 14 exhibitions, including 3 solo shows, and 11 juried shows.
- The 2013 purchase of “Keeneland Classics” by the State of Kentucky for their governor’s mansion.
- Instructor of oil painting techniques, portraiture, and figure painting at Portland’s
- Oregon Society of Artists.
- Over 40 published works in either coffee table art books, national or regional publications, or artist interviews.
- Best of Show at the Oregon Society of Artists Spring, 2016 Show for “Tardy Prince”.
- Exhibited at Morven Park’s Museum of Hound and Hunting art show, Year of the Hound, in 2018.
- Participating artist in the internationally recognized Sporting Art Auction, Keeneland, Kentucky, 2013 – present; with annual artwork sales.
- Purchase of “Keeneland Backstretch, 6 am” by the Keeneland Library, a global information repository dedicated to Thoroughbred horses.
- Artist-in-residence, Kentucky’s Keeneland racetrack, October, 2015.
- A commissioned portrait for the English Springer Field Trial Hall of Fame, 2014.
- Painting the 2007 Breeders’ Cup commemorative art for promotional uses and charity auction.
- Painting the 50-foot “Dressage at Devonwood Mural”, in Sherwood, Oregon.
- Teaching positions as adjunct faculty in illustration and drawing.
- A Bachelor of Fine Arts with Honors in Illustration, from Pasadena’s Art Center College of Design in 1983.
Curious about having a portrait done?
Reach Joanne at:
4703 SE 40 Avenue
Portland, OR 9720