Joanne Mehl Paintings
I’m a fine artist specializing in portraiture as well as equine subjects. Much of my work is commissioned portraits of individuals, families, and the animals they love; as well as various scenes that either a gallery or myself offer for sale.
A Rewarding Career
My complete resume is available on request, but some of my career highlights include having:
- Over 25 individual collectors of commissioned portraiture.
- Over 40 published works in either coffee table art books, national or regional publications, or artist interviews.
- 14 exhibitions, including 3 solo shows, and 11 juried shows.
- Teaching positions as adjunct faculty in illustration and drawing.
- An early career in commercial illustration serving a variety of ad agency clientele.
I Simply Love What I Do
In 1983 I graduated from Art Center College of Design with a Bachelor of Fine Arts with Honors in Illustration. I started doing portrait work professionally because I was exceptionally well prepared for it, and loved it. There’s just something about faces. Maybe it’s encoded in our DNA, this fascination with faces, especially the faces of those that we love. Babies and moms, puppies, kittens, horses; we love those faces! I love painting beautiful faces as well as interesting and flawed faces. Our lives are written there. The beautiful, fresh-faced young woman whose life is ahead of her, full of possibility. The relationship between mother and child, between child and beloved pet. I love painting them all. Because life is about love and loving, and those that we love.
As a lifelong horsewoman, it’s no surprise that I love to paint horses. Cross Gate Gallery in Lexington, Kentucky represents me; and carries much of my equine work. If you’re curious about having a commissioned portrait done, please contact me.
4703 SE 40 Avenue
Portland, OR 97202